Sunday, January 20, 2008

Feeling Nostalgic

With the approach of Ethan's first birthday, I am feeling remarkably nostalgic lately. Of course I am remembering how uncomfortable I was these last few days, being overdue (my due date was the 18th and I had him on the 24th). And then I think about being in labor, and how even though it was super painful, it was also amazing. I have been looking at pictures from the day Ethan was born and I still can't believe he came out of me!!!! He looks so incredibly huge! The whole thing is such a miracle.

And I get to celebrate Ethan's first birthday by being at Parent-Teacher's Conferences this Thursday. Kind of a bummer.

Anyway, I also wanted to update you on all the fun things Ethan has been doing now that he is approaching a year. He is so fun to play with and loves to laugh at mommy and daddy. Sometimes we have contests to see which of us he thinks is funnier. He really gets a kick out of mom's karate impression when Ethan supplies the "HI-YA" for me. Daddy also cracks him up, especially when he arm wrestles with him.

Ethan's language is starting to take off. Of course, no one but mom and dad knows what he's saying, but we are sure he is understanding what things are, and that they have names. Here is a adult-to-toddler language index in case you visit in the near future.

Orange = "Ooooo"
Banana= "Ba"
Cracker = "Cacka"
Cockadoodledoo = "Cocka" (similar to cracker, but we know the difference :)
Duck = "A-duh"
Roar! = "Wooow"
Hi, Mama, and Dada are also in his vocab.

He loves to play in the kitchen. There is a cupboard filled with plastic items just for him and he takes them out and plays whenever mom is working in the kitchen. Finally, one very funny game he just discovered this morning was putting the animals from one of his toys in mama's mouth. (Luckily I have kind of a big mouth!) He brings it to me and inserts it in my mouth like he is feeding me, and then laughs when it disappears and magically reappears. Oh, we know how to have fun around here!

1 comment:

lil'lil' said...

Oh Ethan, how can you be turning one already?! What a big vocabulary! I’m very glad to see that you know the words for some healthy fruit!