Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Terrible (I mean challenging) twos - already???

Ethan has been exhibiting some symptoms that he may be entering the terrible twos. For example, he throws his toys and hits when he doesn't get his way, or when he is upset about something. He will hold the toy up in throwing position and look at mom and dad and smile, waiting for us to react. We've tried ignoring, we've tried saying "no" and we've tried time-outs. We are really trying to be consistent with the time-outs in the play pen, but it gets to be exhausting!

I think sometimes it is a problem with knowing what he wants but not having the language to express himself. For example, I have figured out that when he gets a book out of the basket, looks at me, and throws it, he just wants me to read to him. He just doesn't know how to express that appropriately - so I model for him, "mama, please read me my book" and he just gets annoyed with me.

Luckily, he is still adorable and lots of fun. I think you need to wish us luck through the next few months, though!

1 comment:

lil'lil' said...

All this is very hard to believe about sweet, darling Ethan!