Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Overprotective Mama??

I had my first (of many, I'm sure) feeling of being overprotective today. I brought Ethan to the Kidz Klub at my gym, and was excited for him to play there, because of all the new toys and all the kids! There were probably about 15 kids there, and 3 workers, so I was sure he'd have lots of fun.

After about 45 minutes of working out, we needed to get home for nap time, and I entered the room to see all the kiddos - except mine! There are 2 parts to the daycare room, and all the little kids were in the first part. I ventured to the next room, and there I saw little Ethan sitting all by himself on the far side of the room!!! He seemed content and all, but my heart felt sad for him . . .why weren't these workers "stimulating" him with play and language? Why weren't the other babies flocking to him to play, since he is obviously the most fun, adorable baby there? Who knows what was happening minutes before I entered - perhaps he was having a rip-roaring time, but I just know that when I saw him alone, I felt sad.

Like I said, he wasn't upset about this - he was perfectly content - however, it gave me a new perspective on parenthood. How difficult it must be for parents to know that their children are being left out on the playground at school, or getting bullied by other kids. It is so apparent that we want only the best for our kids, and want them to be happy ALL THE TIME!

Give me some thoughts and comments on this, fellow parents . . .

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Maybe Ethan's just a snob? Just kidding. Obviously it's because he's way too smart and sophisticated for any of those other kidz Klubbers! Ok, really I think the perspective you got on the parents at school is a good one--way to be a good teacher! :-)